Friday, March 1, 2019

Review - The Caged Queen (Iskari, #2) by Kristen Ciccarelli






Title: The Caged Queen (Iskari, #2)
Author: Kristen Ciccarelli
Pages: 400
Publisher: Gollancz
Release Date: 27th September 2018


Blurb from Goodreads:

Once there were two sisters born with a bond so strong that it forged 
them together forever. When they were angry, mirrors shattered, and 
when they were happy, flowers bloomed. It was a magic they 
cherished-until the day a terrible accident took Essie's life 
and trapped her soul in this world.

Dax-the heir to Firgaard's throne-was responsible for the accident. 
Roa swore to hate him forever. But eight years later he returned, 
begging for her help. He was determined to dethrone his cruel father, 
under whose oppressive reign Roa's people had suffered. Roa made 
him a deal: she'd give him the army he needed if he made her queen.

Together with Dax and his sister, Asha, Roa and her people waged 
war and deposed a tyrant. But now Asha is on the run, hiding from 
the price on her head. And Roa is an outlander queen, far from home 
and married to her enemy. Worst of all: Dax's promises go unfulfilled. 
Roa's people continue to suffer.

Then a chance to right every wrong arises - an opportunity 
for Roa to rid herself of this enemy king and rescue her beloved 
sister. During the Reliquishing, when the spirits of the dead are said 
to return, Roa can reclaim her sister for good.

All she has to do is kill the king.
 


 








My Review:

*I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. 
Thanks to Orion Publishing Group and NetGalley*




Roa helped Dax to de-throne his tyrannical father and now Roa 
rules Firgaard at Dax's side as his queen.
But Roa has married a man she hates. When they were young, an 
accident led to Roa's sister, Essie, dying. An accident that was all 
Dax's fault.
A foreign queen, Roa will have to keep her wits about her as she 
tries to make sure that Dax keeps his promises to help her homeland.
When Roa gets the chance to kill the king and save her sister will 
she take it?


I have mixed feelings about The Caged Queen - on the one hand it 
contained some of my favourite aspects of The Last Namsara but I 
found it frustrating at times.
I liked Roa, but there were times when she exasperated me.
I enjoyed getting to know more about Dax and it was good to see 
Asha again.
For me the plot really let the book down - I liked some parts but 
most of the tension/conflict could have been avoided if Roa had just 
TALKED to Dax. I also felt like the pacing could have been a bit 
better and I guessed a plot twist really early on.
I loved the stories that were scattered throughout the book.
I really liked the writing style - it held my interest and was easy to 
follow.


Overall this was an enjoyable read.





No comments :

Post a Comment