Friday, July 5, 2019

My Top Six Books of 2019 So Far



Seeing as we are over halfway through the year (!!!!) I thought I would post about my favourite books of the year so far.

 I haven't actually given any books five stars so far (because I am very fussy about dishing those out), but some have come close with 4.5 stars.


In no particular order here are my top six books of the year so far . . .




Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - 4.5/5 stars

I finally read Illuminae!
And I loved it! Thanks goodness!
I love sci-fi and this book really gripped me and made me cry!





Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - 4/5 stars
I didn't like Gemina as much as Illuminae but I still really enjoyed it. I didn't like Hanna and Nik as much as Kady and Ezra.
I will never look at cows the same way again. 





Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - 4/5 stars  
Obsidio was a good end to the series, but I couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed that I didn't enjoy it more.
There was some good action and some emotional moments, but it didn't hit me in the feels quite as much as Illuminae did.
Overall though this was a very enjoyable series that I will definitely read again at some point. 
 




A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1) by Brigid Kemmerer - 4.5/5 stars

I'm a sucker for Beauty and the Beast retellings and combined with the talent of Brigid Kemmerer (who is my favourite contemporary author), this was a match made in heaven.
I loved the characters, the setting, the romance, and the plot.
I can't wait for the next book!






Northern Lights (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman - 4/5 stars 

I'm re-reading the His Dark Materials books this year in preparation for the TV series (which I am super excited about!).
I read these books in my mid-teens and they had all gotten mashed into one in my head so it was good to re-read this.





Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1) by Renee Ahdieh - 4/5 stars

This was another re-read. I read it again because the author is going to YALC at the end of the month and I needed to read the sequel.
I enjoyed this just as much as the first time (what a relief!).
I love the setting and the romance. 
  




Have you read any of these books?
What are your favourite books you've read so far this year?


 

No comments :

Post a Comment