Friday, September 11, 2020

Five More Books I Want To Re-Read

 
 Last year I wrote a post on five books that I wanted to re-read, which can be read here.

Here are five more books that I want to re-read and why:



1. Shades of Grey (Shades of Grey, #1) by Jasper Fforde

 


 Blurb from Goodreads:

 Shades of Grey tells of a battle against overwhelming odds. In a society where the ability to see the higher end of the color spectrum denotes a better social standing, Eddie Russet belongs to the low-level House of Red and can see his own color—but no other. The sky, the grass, and everything in between are all just shades of grey, and must be colorized by artificial means.

Eddie's world wasn't always like this. There's evidence of a never-discussed disaster and now, many years later, technology is poor, news sporadic, the notion of change abhorrent, and nighttime is terrifying: no one can see in the dark. Everyone abides by a bizarre regime of rules and regulations, a system of merits and demerits, where punishment can result in permanent expulsion.

Eddie, who works for the Color Control Agency, might well have lived out his rose-tinted life without a hitch. But that changes when he becomes smitten with Jane, a Grey, which is low-caste in this color-centric world. She shows Eddie that all is not well with the world he thinks is just and good. Together, they engage in dangerous revolutionary talk.

 

Why I Want to Re-read This:

Shades of Grey is my second favourite book of all time but I've only read it once.

I will definitely be reading it before the second book FINALLY comes out.

 

 

 

 2. Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1) by Garth Nix

 


Blurb from Goodreads:

Sabriel is the daughter of the Mage Abhorsen. Ever since she was a tiny child, she has lived outside the Wall of the Old Kingdom--far away from the uncontrolled power of Free Magic, and away from the Dead who won't stay dead.

But now, her father is missing and Sabriel is called upon to cross into the world to find him, Leaving the safety of the school she has known as home, Sabriel embarks upon a quest fraught with supernatural dangers, with companions she is unsure of--for nothing is as it seems within the boundary of the Old Kingdom. There, she confronts an evil that threatens much more than her life, and comes face to face with her hidden destiny.

 

Why I Want to Re-read This:

It's a long time since I've read Sabriel and in the past few years there have been two more additions to the series, and I believe that there will be another one coming out next year.

I definitely want to re-read Sabriel (as well as Lirael and Abhorsen) before I read the new books.




3. The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1) by S.A. Chakraborty

 


Blurb from Goodreads:

Nahri has never believed in magic. Certainly, she has power; on the streets of 18th century Cairo, she’s a con woman of unsurpassed talent. But she knows better than anyone that the trade she uses to get by—palm readings, zars, healings—are all tricks, sleights of hand, learned skills; a means to the delightful end of swindling Ottoman nobles.

But when Nahri accidentally summons an equally sly, darkly mysterious djinn warrior to her side during one of her cons, she’s forced to accept that the magical world she thought only existed in childhood stories is real. For the warrior tells her a new tale: across hot, windswept sands teeming with creatures of fire, and rivers where the mythical marid sleep; past ruins of once-magnificent human metropolises, and mountains where the circling hawks are not what they seem, lies Daevabad, the legendary city of brass, a city to which Nahri is irrevocably bound.

In that city, behind gilded brass walls laced with enchantments, behind the six gates of the six djinn tribes, old resentments are simmering. And when Nahri decides to enter this world, she learns that true power is fierce and brutal. That magic cannot shield her from the dangerous web of court politics. That even the cleverest of schemes can have deadly consequences.

After all, there is a reason they say be careful what you wish for . . .

 

Why I Want to Re-read This:

The third and final book in this series came out this year which I read and LOVED.

Having now read all the books in the series, I really want to re-read The City of Brass (as well as The Kingdom of Copper and The Empire of Gold) because I love the characters and adore this series. It will be good to read the books again to see if I can pick up things that I didn't notice the first time.

 



4. A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

 


Blurb from Goodreads:

Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, seventeen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams.

But, as she grows closer to the Cardews, is she abandoning her own ambitions... And is there something darker lurking at the heart of the Cardew family?

 

Why I Want to Re-read This:

A Sky Painted Gold is such a feel-good book and I love the characters and the Gatsby-esque feel to it.

I partly want to re-read this because Laura Wood'd next book, A Snowfall of Silver, releases at the beginning of October and features Freya, Lou's sister, as the protagonist.

 

 

 

5. The Martian (The Martian, #1) by Andy Weir

 


Blurb from Goodreads:

 I’m stranded on Mars.

I have no way to communicate with Earth.

I’m in a Habitat designed to last 31 days.

If the Oxygenator breaks down, I’ll suffocate. If the Water Reclaimer breaks down, I’ll die of thirst. If the Hab breaches, I’ll just kind of explode. If none of those things happen, I’ll eventually run out of food and starve to death.

So yeah. I’m screwed.

 

Why I Want to Re-read This:

This is possibly my favourite sci-fi book that I've read but I've only read it once.

I loved the action and Mark Watney as a character.

 

 

 Have you read any of these?


No comments :

Post a Comment