Saturday, November 9, 2019

Review - With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo






Title: With the Fire on High
Author: Elizabeth Acevedo
Pages: 400
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Release Date: 19th September 2019


Blurb from Goodreads:
 
Ever since she got pregnant, seventeen-year-old Emoni's life has been about making the tough decisions - doing what has to be done for her young daughter and her grandmother. Keeping her head down at school, trying not to get caught up with new boy Malachi. The one place she can let everything go is in the kitchen, where she has magical hands - whipping up extraordinary food beloved by everyone. 


Emoni wants to be a chef more than anything, but she knows it's pointless to pursue the impossible. There are rules she has to play by. And yet, once she starts cooking, and gets that fire on high, she sees that her drive to feed will feed her soul and dreams too. And anything is possible.











My Review:

*I won a copy of this book through Readers First*






Seventeen-year-old Emoni lives with her baby daughter and her grandmother.
In her final year of high school, Emoni splits her time between school, work, and looking after her daughter.
She is a gifted cook and dreams of running her own restaurant, but Emoni knows that she might have to give up her dreams in order to provide for her family.


With the Fire on High is a beautifully designed book and I like that there's food on the cover - you don't see that very often.
Emoni was a likeable and relatable protagonist. She hadn't had the easiest life, but she didn't mope around feeling sorry for herself. I liked her relationship with her grandma and her best friend.
I think this was the first book I've read where the main character wants to be a chef, so that was refreshing and interesting.
I was not a fan of the romantic interest. Some of his actions really bugged me.
The plot was pretty predictable overall, but I did enjoy what I read.
I'm disappointed that I didn't enjoy this more.


Overall, this was an enjoyable read.





No comments :

Post a Comment