Saturday, January 11, 2020

Review - Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow, #1) by Bex Hogan





Title: Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow, #1)
Author: Bex Hogan
Pages: 400
Publisher: Orion Children's Books
Release Date: 18th April 2019


Blurb from Goodreads:


He will make me a killer.
Or he will have me killed.
That is my destiny.


Seventeen-year-old Marianne is fated to one day become the Viper, defender of the Twelve Isles.

But the reigning Viper stands in her way. Corrupt and merciless, he prowls the seas in his warship, killing with impunity, leaving only pain and suffering in his wake.

He's the most dangerous man on the ocean . . . and he is Marianne's father.

She was born to protect the islands. But can she fight for them if it means losing her family, her home, the boy she loves - and perhaps even her life?

A brave heroine. An impossible dilemma. An epic new fantasy trilogy set on the high seas.


 

Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US


 




My Review:

*I received a copy of this book in a subscrption box*





Seventeen-year-old Marianne is the daughter of the Viper - the captain of a ship of highly skilled assassins, who is supposed to defend the Twelve Isles.
However, instead of protecting people, the current Viper inflicts pain and fear.
Marianne wants to help people and to escape from her cruel father.
Can the Viper be stopped?
Can Marianne break free from her father's grasp?


Going in to Viper I was certain I would love it - it's about assassin pirates and I'd heard lots of people rave about it. However, it was one of those books where I seem to be the odd one out.
Marianne was a likeable protagonist. I felt sorry for her and was rooting for her to get away from her father. I liked that she wanted to help and protect people.
Grace was probably my favourite character, but no one else really stood out for me.
The plot was enjoyable to begin with, but then I found that it became very predictable, and it wasn't until near the end that something happened that surprised me and I started liking the book a bit more. The plot also failed to fully hold my attention and I grew bored more than once.
The romance wasn't one of my favourites - I didn't dislike it but I couldn't feel the connection between the characters, so it felt a bit forced.
The writing style was also not one of my favourites and was hit or miss for me - there were times when I thought it was good, and times when I wanted to re-word things.
I'm disappointed that I didn't enjoy Viper more.


Overall, this was an okay read.



No comments :

Post a Comment