Friday, November 30, 2018

Review - Sea Witch by Sarah Henning






Title: Sea Witch
Author: Sarah Henning
Pages: 416
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Release Date: 31st July 2018


Blurb from Goodreads: 

The fairy tale you thought you knew… 

The story of the Sea Witch, the villainess from Hans Christian 
Anderson’s classic tale The Little Mermaid, told from the viewpoint 
of the Sea Witch when she was a twelve-year-old girl… 

Evie has been wracked with guilt ever since her best friend, Anna, 
drowned. So when a girl appears on shore with an uncanny 
resemblance to Anna, Evie befriends her in an effort to make amends. 
And as the two girls catch the eyes – and hearts – of two charming 
princes, Evie believes that she might finally have a chance at happy ever 
after. But is Evie’s new friend really who she says she is? Or will Evie 
discover, too late, the truth of her bargain? A gripping story of friendship, 
betrayal and the power of hope…Because ‘though magic can shape life and death… love is the one thing it 
cannot control.












My Review:

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 
Thanks to HarperCollins UK, Children's and NetGalley*



 Evie has magic like the other women in her family, but magic is forbidden.
She tries to use her magic to help people but it wasn't enough to stop 
her best friend Anna from drowning. 
Years after the accident, a girl appears in the town who looks just 
like Anna. Evie befriends the girl, Annemette, and as they grow 
closer she finds out the real reason Annemette is there.
The girls spend time with Nik, the prince and a close friend of Evie's, 
and his cousin, Iker.
Is there more to Annette than meets the eye?
Can Evie have a future with Iker?


I'm a fan of fairytale retellings so when I saw Sea Witch on NetGalley 
I instantly requested it.
I didn't mind Evie as a character and felt a bit sorry for her. There 
weren't really any characters that stood out for me.
The plot was okay. It look a long time to get going for me and it was 
only at the end that I thought there were some good twists.
The writing style wasn't one of my favourites and I struggled at times 
to stay interested. I contemplated DNFing this once or twice.
I'm disappointed that I didn't enjoy this more.


Overall this was an okay but disappointing read. 

 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment