Friday, October 12, 2018

Review - Mirage (Mirage, #1) by Somaiya Daud





Title: Mirage (Mirage, #1)
Author: Somaiya Daud
Pages: 320
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Release Date: 28th August 2018


Blurb from Goodreads: 

The crown of Dihya had been stripped from me, my face changed,
my body broken. 
But I was not a slave and I was not a spare. 
I was my mother's daughter, and I would survive and endure. I would 
find my way back home. 

In a star system dominated by the brutal Vathek empire, eighteen-year-old Amani is a dreamer. She dreams of what life was like before the occupation, and of receiving a sign from Dihya that one
day, she, too, will have adventures, and travel beyond her isolated moon.

But when adventure comes for Amani, it is not what she expects: she 
is kidnapped and taken in secret to the royal palace, where she 
discovers that she is nearly identical to the cruel half-Vathek Princess Maram. 
The princess is so hated by her conquered people that she requires a 
body double to appear in public, ready to die in her place.

As Amani is forced into her new role, she can’t help but enjoy the 
palace’s beauty—and her time with the princess’ fiancé, Idris. 
But the glitter of the royal court belies a world of violence and fear 
and if Amani ever wishes to see her family again, she must play the 
princess to perfection... because one wrong move could lead to her 
death.












My Review: 


*I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. 
Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton and NetGalley*





Eighteen-year-old Amani lives on a moon in a star system that has 
been conquered by the harsh Vathek empire. She lives on a farm 
with her family in a village that tries to keep their traditions from fading.
Amani's life changes when she is taken from her home to the royal 
palace. There Amani finds out that she and the half-Vathek Princess
Maram look so similar that they could be twins. Amani is to be 
Maram's body-double, to go in her place to events that could be
potentially dangerous. Amani has to learn to be exactly like Maram, 
and risk her life for the cruel half-Vathek princess.
As Amani settles into her new life, she grows close to Maram's fiancé,
Idris.
Can Amani become Maram?
Will she see her family again?


Reading the blurb for Mirage I was certain that I would love this book. 
Plus the cover is gorgeous.
Amani was a good protagonist. I thought that she was relatable and 
she was a good person. She coped well with having her life turned 
upside down. I liked that she was close to her family. The only slightly
 off thing about her, for me, was that the main character in the Rebel of
 the Sands books has the same name so I kept imagining her instead.
Maram was an interesting character. I disliked her to begin with but 
then I felt sorry for her. 
I liked the sci-fi elements - the droids, blasters and  spaceships - and the mythology was interesting.
The plot started off well for me but as soon as the romance began I 
found myself losing interest. In my opinion, it would have been more
 unique and interesting if Amani had fallen in love with her maid. It
seemed pretty predictable to me who Amani's love interest would be. 
The romance wouldn't have bothered me so much if there had been 
more tension and build up between them, but I felt that it was rushed 
and that they barely knew each other.
It didn't really feel like much happened in the book, but as this is the 
first in a trilogy I suppose its purpose was to set up the sequels.
I'm disappointed that I didn't enjoy Mirage more.


Overall this was an okay but disappointing read.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment