Saturday, November 10, 2018

Review - Kindred by Octavia E. Butler





Title: Kindred
Author: Octavia E. Butler
Pages: 306
Publisher: Headline
Release Date: 27th March 2014


Blurb from Goodreads:

 The first science fiction written by a black woman, Kindred has 
become a cornerstone of black American literature. This combination 
of slave memoir, fantasy, and historical fiction is a novel of rich literary 
complexity. Having just celebrated her 26th birthday in 1976 California, 
Dana, an African-American woman, is suddenly and inexplicably
wrenched through time into antebellum Maryland. After saving a
 drowning white boy there, she finds herself staring into the barrel of a 
shotgun and is transported back to the present just in time to save her 
life. During numerous such time-defying episodes with the 
same young man, she  realizes the challenge she’s been given: to 
protect this young slaveholder until he can father her 
own great-grandmother.











My Review: 
 
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 
Thanks to Headline and NetGalley*




Dana, a young African-American woman who lives in 1976 
California, finds herself suddenly whisked away to 1800's 
Maryland. 
After saving a boy from drowning and having a gun pointed at her, 
Dana reappears back home.
Dana is drawn back to the past on numerous more occasions, each 
time at a point when the boy, Rufus's, life is in danger.
Rufus is prone to getting into life-threatening situations, and Dana has to keep him alive until he has a 
daughter - her own great-grandmother.
Can Dana keep Rufus alive long enough to ensure her own future?


I wasn't really sure what to expect going into Kindred, but I'm glad 
that I read it.
Dana was a likeable and relatable protagonist. She went through a 
lot and I thought she coped very well in the circumstances.
There were several other characters that I liked and thought were 
interesting.
The plot was interesting. I don't know that much about American 
history but I knew about the plantations. It was tough to read about 
how the slaves were treated. 
The relationship between Dana and Rufus was very complicated and 
intriguing. 
The writing style was easy to follow and engaging. I never lost 
interest and I think this will be a book that stays with me for a while.


Overall this was an enjoyable read that I would recommend. 





No comments :

Post a Comment