Tuesday, February 5, 2019

DNF Review - Tempests and Slaughter (The Numair Chronicles, #1) by Tamora Pierce





Title: Tempests and Slaughter (The Numair Chronicles, #1)
Author: Tamora Pierce
Pages: 432
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Release Date: 20th September 2018


Blurb from Goodreads: 

Arram. Varice. Ozorne. In the first book in the Numair Chronicles, 
three student mages are bound by fate . . . fated for trouble.

Arram Draper is a boy on the path to becoming one of the realm’s 
most powerful mages. The youngest student in his class at the 
Imperial University of Carthak, he has a Gift with unlimited potential 
for greatness–and for attracting danger. At his side are his two best 
friends: Varice, a clever girl with an often-overlooked talent, and Ozorne, the “leftover prince” with secret ambitions. Together, these friends forge a bond that will one day shape kingdoms. And as Ozorne gets closer to the throne and Varice gets closer 
to Arram’s heart, Arram begins to realize that one day soon he will 
have to decide where his loyalties truly lie. 

In the Numair Chronicles, readers will be rewarded with the never-before-told story of how Numair SalmalĂ­n came to Tortall. 
Newcomers will discover an unforgettable fantasy adventure where a 
kingdom’s future rests on the shoulders of a talented young man with 
a knack for making vicious enemies.


 








My Review:
 
*I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. 
Thanks to HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction and NetGalley*


DNF @ 22%

 
Arram Draper is a student at the Imperial University of Carthak. He 
excels at his studies and is the youngest student in his class.
Arram becomes friends with Varice and Prince Ozorne. Arram grows 
close to Varice as Ozorne moves closer to the throne.


I was a fan of the Song of the Lioness Quartet (but not that big a fan
 of the Immortals books), but when I saw that Tamora Pierce had a 
new book coming out I was excited.
I'm not really sure what I expected going into Tempests and Slaughter, 
but it definitely wasn't this!
From the very beginning I struggled to get into the storyline and the 
writing style. For me, the age of the characters and the writing style 
made Tempests and Slaughter feel like a middle grade (I'm not throwing 
shade at MG books, I just wasn't expecting it). I found some of the 
dialogue a bit silly. 
What I read of the plot was dull and slow, and I struggled to stay 
interested. Eventually I just couldn't read any more.
The setting and characters reminded me of the Harry Potter books.
It annoyed me that the first time Arram saw Varice he thought she was 
the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen, because of course she was *eye roll* 
And I didn't like that Varice was so motherly to Arram and Ozorne.
I'm disappointed that I couldn't get into this. 


Overall this wasn't for me.





No comments :

Post a Comment