Saturday, March 23, 2019

Review - Codename Villanelle (Killing Eve, #1) by Luke Jennings






Title: Codename Villanelle (Killing Eve, #1)
Author: Luke Jennings
Pages: 224
Publisher: Mullholland Books
Release Date: 22nd September 2018


Blurb from Goodreads:

Villanelle (a codename, of course) is one of the world's most skilled assassins. 
A catlike psychopath whose love for the creature comforts of her luxurious 
lifestyle is second only to her love of the game, she specializes in murdering the 
world's richest and most powerful. But when she murders an influential Russian 
politician, she draws a relentless foe to her tail. 
Eve Polastri (not a codename) is a former MI6 operative hired by the national 
security services for a singular task: to find and capture or kill the assassin 
responsible, and those who have aided her. Eve, whose quiet and otherwise 
unextraordinary life belies her quick wit and keen intellect, accepts the mission. 
The ensuing chase will lead them on a trail around the world, intersecting with 
corrupt governments and powerful criminal organizations, all leading towards a 
final confrontation from which neither will emerge unscathed. Codename Villanelle  
is a sleek, fast-paced international thriller from an exciting new voice in fiction.
 












My Review:

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 
Thanks to John Murray Press and NetGalley*




Villanelle is a psychopath and a highly skilled assassin. 
She wasn't always called Villanelle, but she has left her past behind and now 
works for a secret organisation that targets high profile and powerful people.
When Villanelle murders a Russian politician, she attracts the attention of Eve 
Polastri, an ex-MI6 officer. Eve is determined to track down this mysterious new female 
assassin, and follows Villanelle's trail around the globe.


I requested Codename Villanelle after watching the TV adaptation (which I really 
enjoyed) and it's hard not to compare the two.
For me, the writing style is what let this down - it took me a while to get into the 
story and there were times that I found myself skipping paragraphs, wanting to get 
to the action.
The plot was okay. There were parts that I liked and parts that I didn't.
Villanelle and Eve were interesting characters but as this was only a short novel, I felt 
like they could have been fleshed out a bit more. Eve especially.
I definitely preferred the TV series - and plot were more interesting, and I was more 
gripped when watching it compared to when I read this.


Overall this was an okay read.
 



 




No comments :

Post a Comment