Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Review - Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid






Title: Daisy Jones and the Six
Author: Taylor Jenkins Reid
Pages: 368
Publisher: Hutchinson/Cornerstone
Release Date: 7th March 2019



Blurb from Goodreads:

For a while, Daisy Jones & The Six were everywhere. Their albums were on every turntable, they sold out arenas from coast to coast, their sound defined an era. And then, on 12 July 1979, they split. Nobody ever knew why. Until now.

They were lovers and friends and brothers and rivals. They couldn't believe their luck, until it ran out. This is their story of the early days and the wild nights, but everyone remembers the truth differently.

The only thing they all know for sure is that from the moment Daisy Jones walked barefoot, on to the stage at the Whisky, the band were irrevocably changed. Making music is never just about the music. And sometimes it can be hard to tell where the sound stops and the feelings begin.












 My Review:

*I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. 
Thanks to Bookmarks*





Daisy Jones and the Six tells story of the rise and fall of the band of 
the same name in the 70s.
It is told in interview format with the author talking with members 
of the band as well as some of their friends/colleagues/spouses.
I enjoyed Daisy Jones and the Six overall. The plot was good but 
nothing that happened shocked me except for the identity of the author. 
The interview style was easy to follow but, seeing as there were 
seven members in the band when Daisy joined, there were lots of 
people to keep track of. This wasn't a problem for me, but some 
people might find it confusing.
Karen and Graham were my favourite characters. I found them 
relatable and likeable and I felt sorry for them at times. 
Daisy was an interesting character. She was very talented but she 
suffered with low self-esteem and addiction. 
I have mixed feelings about Billy, the lead singer. There were times 
when I felt sorry for him but there were others when he annoyed me 
because he could be very self-centered.
It was interesting reading about a band and the process of them 
recording and touring.
I would recommend this to people that like biographies and the 
music scene. 
Daisy Jones and the Six is pretty much what I expected, but I am 
slightly disappointed that I didn't enjoy it more. 


Overall this was an enjoyable read.



No comments :

Post a Comment