Friday, March 15, 2019

Review - A Curse So Dark And Lonely (A Curse So Dark And Lonely, #1) by Brigid Kemmerer






Title:  A Curse So Dark And Lonely (A Curse So Dark And Lonely, #1)
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Pages: 489
Publisher: Bloomsbury YA
Release Date: 29th January 2019



Blurb from Goodreads:


In a lush, contemporary fantasy retelling of Beauty and the Beast, Brigid 
Kemmerer gives readers another compulsively readable romance perfect 
for fans of Marissa Meyer.

Fall in love, break the curse. 


It once seemed so easy to Prince Rhen, the heir to Emberfall. Cursed by a powerful 

enchantress to repeat the autumn of his eighteenth year over and over, he knew he 
could be saved if a girl fell for him. But that was before he learned that at the end of 
each autumn, he would turn into a vicious beast hell-bent on destruction. That was before he destroyed his castle, his family, and every 
last shred of hope.

Nothing has ever been easy for Harper. With her father long gone, her mother dying, 

and her brother barely holding their family together while constantly underestimating 
her because of her cerebral palsy, she learned to be tough enough to survive. But when 
she tries to save someone else on the streets of Washington, DC, she's instead somehow 
sucked into Rhen's cursed world.

Break the curse, save the kingdom. 

A prince? A monster? A curse? Harper doesn't know where she is or what to believe. 

But as she spends time with Rhen in this enchanted land, she begins to understand what's 
at stake. And as Rhen realizes Harper is not just another girl to charm, his hope comes 
flooding back. But powerful forces are standing against Emberfall . . . and it will take 
more than a broken curse to save Harper, Rhen, and his people from utter ruin.




Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US









My Review:


*I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. 
Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK&ANZ) and NetGalley*




Prince Rhen of Emberfall has been living under a curse from an enchantress for several years. 
His attempts to get a girl to fall in love with him fail again and again, each failure leading to 
Rhen transforming into a hideous creature. His family dead by his own hand, Rhen lives in the 
castle with only his guard for company.
Harper's life in Washington, DC isn't easy - her mother is dying from cancer, her father 
disappeared after getting into trouble with loan sharks, and her brother is doing bad things to 
get them in the clear. Despite her cerebral palsy, Harper is tough. When she sees a young 
woman in trouble, she ends up in a strange land with a cursed prince.
Can Harper break the curse?
Will Rhen be able to save his land from invasion?


Where to start?!
I'm a fan of Brigid Kemmerer's contemporary books, so when I saw that she had a Beauty and 
the Beast (my favourite fairy tale) retelling coming out I was super excited.
I'm so glad that I liked this so much!
Harper was a fantastic protagonist - she was tough, kind and caring. This was the first book I've 
read with a character that had cerebral palsy and I thought it was handled well.
Rhen was likeable and I felt sorry for him. Grey was another character that I really liked.
I loved Harper and Rhen's relationship, Harper and Grey's relationship and Rhen and Grey's 
relationship. All their interactions pretty much had me grinning like the Cheshire Cat.
The romance wasn't over the top, which I appreciated. I thought it was sweet.
The plot was interesting and had some good action scenes. There were some twists I didn't see 
coming. The scenes with Lilith, the Enchantress, were tense and she was so messed up that I had 
no idea what she was going to do next.
The writing gripped me straight away and I didn't want to put this down.
The only thing that bothered me was how much Harper blushed, but hopefully some of these 
were removed for the finished book.
I can't wait for the sequel!


Overall this was a fantastic read that I would definitely recommend.







No comments :

Post a Comment